The coat of arms was designed by artists Nikola Bogdanov and Yanko Atanasov, after a competition organized by the municipality and approved by the State Committee for Plastic Art in 1971.
The main part of the coat of arms is a shield - the classical symbol of a fortress or any fortified place. In the upper part of the shield is an architectural element kobilitsa (a yoke-shaped ornament) - very popular during the Bulgarian National Revival. The shield is purple - a color symbolizing the glory of Bulgarian kings and sovereignty.
In the middle of the shield is a sheaf of wheat ears - a symbol of the unity and glory of the Bulgarian people. Here, in Dobrudzha, 1,300 years ago, Khan Asparuh established the first Bulgarian settlements. The ears also symbolize the fecundity and generosity of the Dobrudzha plains.
Above the sheaf is the name of the town written in an old calligraphic Bulgarian font type. The town was given the name Dobrich after the Liberation of Bulgaria in 1878.
The sheaf, the name, and the shield contour are gold, which symbolizes the welfare of the townspeople.